Gene drives in the Global Age: Dual uses and the Rule of Law
- To explore the normative and practical advantages the rule of law approach may offer in contributing to integrating security and public health and monitoring science for biosecurity.
- To identify the tension between public health and biosecurity in the context of DURC and the extent to which the tension can be reconciled within the rule of law framework.
- Specifically, to identify and critically evaluate the rule of law approach in advancing and promoting a culture of responsibility within the scientific community.
- To critically assess the extent to which the rule of law approach promotes public participation and deliberation without comprising biosecurity
- To make practical suggestions for ways to harmonize national biosecurity regulations and practices and facilitate international cooperation by referencing the Biological Weapons Convention and the International Health Regulations.
- To make recommendations on governing mechanisms which are more inclusive of non-state actors and how to achieve flexible partnership agreements